Thursday, October 30, 2008

no turning back now

listening to: Journey - Don't Stop Believin'

Look what I did today!

Well, Natalie did it (and did a great job might i add), but i chose to get it done.

Honestly, I like it waaaay more than i thought i would. i really expected to not find it cool, and i was ok with that. believe it or not, i was trying to look... hm... i dunno how to say it.... less. i wanted to give up something that i valued in my physical self. maybe this sounds strange.

i'd just like to say, that i don't think there's anything i can do to make what i'm going say sound anything other than pretentious.
i was really pleased with my long hair. no complaints really. i liked it. other people liked it. that's part of the reason i wanted to do away with it. i wanted to do something that would be humbling for me. i really truly honestly expected to not really like having short hair again. i felt it would look far inferior to my long hair. over time i guess i started to feel like my hair was my best (or most unique/memorable/eye catching) quality. so i wanted to give it up. sacrifice it. ok, so maybe the idea of getting a fauxhawk doesn't seem very humbling, i realize that now after it's done. but i was so incredibly surprised when Natalie was done and I actually loved how it looks. so i tried to humble myself, but i got something quite different.

every person that noticed had good things to say about it. and it wasn't an "oh.... that's... nice" kind of thing. all the older ladies (30+) at work would not stop using the word "cute" and the phrase "oh my God" in tones of awe. friends from work didn't recognize me at first. a lot of them said they thought there was a new guy working. one of my managers saw me while he was talking to somebody else and just stared and said "dude, you are a good looking guy! nice job. man, that looks really good." and if you knew him, you'd know what it meant for him to say it. basically i just got a ton of positive feedback.

so maybe it's a stretch to correlate, but i tired to lower myself and instead was raised. that's something.

anyway. i leave you with one of the movie trailer remakes that emo, kory and i were watching tonight. pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment