Monday, November 10, 2008

huh

huh.
i just realized that on sundays when i have lunch with my family, i feel very obligated to be there. and i feel so obligated because i feel like i'm abandoning them if i do something else. and i feel like i'm contributing to breaking the family apart if i don't go. i never thought about it like this. i'm so afraid of my family falling apart that i feel like i need to be around to make it seem more together. today when a bunch of friends at church were planning on going out to lunch together, i thought (only thought) about going with them and i felt guilty about that idea. how could i even consider abandoning my family like that?

i never realized that's how i felt about it.

i've been listening to la dispute tonight as i did homework. i think these words describe what i would do if there was some thing i could find that was responsible for all this heartache:
"
i felt your sickness brush against my arm as i walked by you--heard your voice but couldn't tell that it was you. and, slowly, watched your sickness slip away into a place that i'd once feared but i was not afraid this time. so i gave chase and found it, finally, slowly feeding from your head, and from my friends, and from my family, so
I grabbed it by the neck.
"for every lover you have ruined..." i dug my nails into its flesh. "...and every life that you have taken..." slammed its head against the brick. its blood poured out onto the pavement, i stirred it in with dirt and spit, "i will take a part of you." i made mortar from the mix. tore every organ from it's body, broke it's bones and fashioned bricks, i laid the mortar in between,
I made a throne for hope to sit.
"Too long you've torn us into pieces, firmly held onto our wrists. Today I bury you in me."
I swallowed every inch of it.
"

vividly violent. powerfully passionate.
it just fit.

but i'm doing alright. truly.

i finshed off that big gulp from last night.
i need to go take care of that now.

4 comments:

  1. We missed you at lunch, but I certainly understand how important family is. Is Sunday the only time you really get to see them? If so, then I don't think you should feel uncomfortable about feeling obligated. Family time is important. But of course I might just be saying this because I really miss my family while I'm here in GR. I'd love to have the chance to have Sunday dinners with them.

    But we did miss you at lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah Sunday is it for the most part. I see my dad at church and then the rest of my family for lunch. i love them all for sure, but i certainly do not love that the family isn't whole right now, and it feels like a burden sometimes to sit there with them and just know things aren't right, they don't feel right.

    but thanks for missing me, heh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say "I know how you feel," because that'd be a lie...but I do understand that it can be a hard meal to sit through. I do think it's great you do spend that time with family, but I acknowledge that the pressure you feel to be there, so as not to be "abandoning" them...can be overwhelming. I'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks a lot. prayer is all i ask for.
    really all there is to do.

    ReplyDelete