Saturday, November 8, 2008

NSN. going well

i just got this message from the facebook group i'm in for No Shave Novemeber. i lolled.
---------------------------------
My fellow patrons of unbridled faces:

Just as the title of this message implies, we are now officially one week into November, and a quarter of the way complete with our journey. So far your facial hair probably hasn't appeared noticeably unusual or unsightly to the average onlooker, but that soon will change.

For some, issues of patchiness and itchiness may be creeping up, and three more weeks of grooming-abstinence may seem utterly daunting. You may even be entertaining the idea of giving up before it gets more difficult, based on some sort of ridiculous perception of inadequacy. Brothers and sisters, you must have heart! You've got to WANT it. The road ahead is mentally perilous and emotionally taxing indeed, but in the end will be physically and spiritually rewarding.

I have the luxury of being surrounded by many excited and fervent participants of NSN here in the North Park community who can offer me encouragement and accountability with this venture, but I understand that not all of you may be quite so fortunate. If you are in fact "driving solo" down this path, I encourage you to enlist in the assistance of those closest around you, so that they might help you with moral support when times seem bleak. Such could make or break your beard's longevity.

Once again I am ecstatic to be with you all on this quest. Godspeed to you all.

Mike Mirza

P.S. In their 1970 song "Almost Cut My Hair," C.S.N.Y. addressed the temptations of giving in to "the man" during times of rebellion and protest. Perhaps you can resonate with these lyrics:

"Almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day.
It's gettin' kinda long
I could have said it was in my way
But I didn't and I wonder why.
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
'Cause I feel like I owe it to someone.

Must be because I had the flu for Christmas
And I'm not feeling up to par.
It increases my paranoia
Like looking in my rear-view mirror and seeing a police car.
But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it to someone.

When I finally get myself together
I'm going to get down in that sunny southern weather
And I find a place inside a laugh.
Separate the wheat from the chaff
I feel like I owe it to someone"

- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, from the album "Déjà Vu"
-----------------------------

i'm not faltering. i'm not failing. the beard will stand strong!
i'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment