Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Spiteful Fruit

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it."

Are we destined to repeat the mistakes of our ancestors?
Oh, I know I have eaten the fruit on my own,
my will brought me to that place.
What heartache! What vacancy of soul it has wrought.
The fruit was pleasing to the eye, my deceitful eyes,
and it was not bitter! No, it was sweet,
it was sustenance, it was filling,
but it left me more empty than full.

Oh blue eyes, how I long for your stare!
I despair to imagine their gaze on another.
I was Adam, again standing by.
Not standing strong, standing off.
I am as much to blame.
Sister, forgive me for not standing for you.
This Spiteful Fruit had been the Fall,
and in truth, still spins my insides.
--------------------------------------------

will i not listen to my own words? jarrod, sometimes you say things that are smart, why don't you recognize your own advice?
"sometimes to cauterize is to heal best"
i wrote it, but i've failed to see the truth in it for me.
time to see if i can practice what i preach. or something.

2 comments:

  1. I've been browsing your posts to catch up a bit...your thoughts on life are appreciated and refreshing. You make me want to have a blog.

    Also, I would like to borrow "A Grief Observed" if I may at some point. It's on my summer reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you!
    i think if you did have a blog, it would be one worth reading. your writing, at least the ones i've seen, have always been enjoyable.

    and yes, you can borrow the book. it's really quite short, i'll probably finish it tonight. anytime is fine.

    ReplyDelete